Ideas for a Sustainable Thanksgiving
How can you have a Sustainable Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving is coming up in less than a week. Unbelievable.
As you plan for your Thanksgiving celebrations we want to encourage you to have a sustainable Thanksgiving celebration.
What does it mean when we say ” Sustainable Thanksgiving “?
Here are some tips:
- Avoid making too much food- know how many are attending and plan accordingly, food waste during thanksgiving week is ridiculous every year.
- Use reusable food containers- plan ahead and use heating and left-over containers that are reusable and not disposable
- Make feast dishes from scratch- Approximately 83 percent of greenhouse gas emissions from food come from its production. The less prepared and packaged food you buy, the lower your carbon footprint.
- Use ingredients already in your pantry- prepare recipes with ingredients that are already in your pantry, that way you clean out your pantry and food wont eventually end up as waste for lack of use.
- Make smaller portions- the yearly mashed potatoes that can feed a crowd for days, make half of that.
- Purchase local and/or organic- The closer your food is grown, the lower the environmental impact of what you eat.
- Purchase in bulk- packaging waste is reduced when buying in bulk
- Avoid produce bags- use your reusable bags when shopping for the items missing in your recipe
- Stick to shopping list- avoid buying in impulse, which can easily lead to food waste